Milky Way Photography Workshops
april thru september
1 NIGHT in JOshua Tree
all skill levels welcome
Scheduled near the New Moon when the night skies are their darkest. Spend the night exploring the park and the night skies in Joshua Tree. An excellent introduction to Night-photography for beginners, and an excellent location for experienced photographers to take their craft to the next level.
- Overnight session - Starts 2 hours before sunset - Ends 11am next day
- Sunset/Landscape photography session in the park
- Milky Way Photography training
- Optimal camera settings for ISO / Aperture / Exposure / Color temperature
- Night-photography in the park
- Panorama photographic techniques
- Night-Lighting techniques
- You will learn how to make Star Trail images
- Overview of Astronomy topics relevant to Night-Photography
- Post-Processing training on Adobe Lightroom "Classic" CC
- 5pm - Workshop starts (a few hours before sunset)
- Landscape/Sunset Photography Session in the Park
- Dinner (B&B/Local Restaurant) (Camping/BBQ Dinner included)
- Night / Milky Way Photography Session in the Park (9pm-midnight)
- Return to B&B/Campsite around midnight to get some sleep
- 8am -Next Morning - Lite Breakfast and Lightroom Classic CC Training
- 11am - Workshop ends
- * subject to change based upon the month
- * We do not schedule our Milky Way workshops on the weekends (Fri/Sat night) because the park tends to be crowded during those times,
B&B Lodging: $399 (USD) per photographer
Camping: $299 (USD) PER PHOTOGRPAHER
Choose your Lodging Option:
B&B in Joshua Tree (Limit 5)
We provide a private room, queen bed, lite breakfast
& Lightroom "Classic" CC training session.
Camping in Joshua Tree National Park (Limit 6)
We supply sleeping bags , pads, tents, a homemade BBQ dinner & Sunrise in the Park! Lite breakfast & Lightroom "Classic" CC training session back at our B&B.
upcoming 2018 Milky Way
april 11, 2018 - camping SOLD OUT
April 12, 2018 - CampiNG SOLD OUT
april 15, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
MAY 9, 2018 - CAMPING SOLD OUT
may 10, 2018 - camping SOLD OUT
may 13, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
MAY 14, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
MAY 15, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
june 14, 2018 - camping SOLD OUT
june 17, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
june 18, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
june 19, 2018 - B&B sold out
JULY 11, 2018 - CAMPING sold out
july 12, 2018 - Camping SOLD OUT
JULY 15, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
JULY 16, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
July 17, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
august 8, 2018 - CAMPING SOLD OUT
august 9, 2018 - camping SOLD OUT
august 13, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT!
august 14, 2018 - B&B just added
september 6, 2018 - camping - 2 spots remaining!
september 9, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
september 10, 2018 - B&B SOLD OUT
september 11, 2018 - B&B - JUST ADDED - Last of the Season!
You must be able to hike for 1/2 mile with your equipment and be able to do some light bouldering (similar to climbing on a step ladder). The approach to the Arch requires you to maneuver up a 3 ft inclined rock with camera gear.
Check our gear guides
This workshop requires that you have a DLSR (or Mirrorless) camera which allows for manual settings of Aperture, Exposure Duration and ISO. The camera should support interchangeable lenses - FAST (F2.8 or faster) and WIDE (20MM or wider, 14MM is preferable) are best for nighttime photography (lenses can be rented on-line at www.borrowlenses.com). You will also need a tripod. You can also bring a laptop (for processing your images). Once you've registered, you will receive a preparation guide and a list of useful apps for night photography.